Tuesday, November 25, 2014

When the Cranes Dance

I glanced at my watch as I parked my car almost two blocks from my door. Twelve forty two. Looking up I noticed the shrinking moon, smiling down at me. Two cranes stood tall, reaching for the moon, not moving. They stood still in the darkness of the night. Two cranes, which earlier this evening danced gracefully together, turning together in perfect symmetry with the golden sun setting behind them.

The pavement was silver from the rain that had fallen not long ago. I love the rain. It makes everything feel more romantic. I started to cross the street, stepping over puddles. I took the long way home. I always do when it's night time. Something about walking along the main road makes me feel safer than taking the shortcut between the buildings. I don't mind walking twice as much as long as I don't have to walk in the dark alleys alone, terrified of every noise, jumping when a cat comes by, always watching over my shoulder to make sure I'm really safe.

It started to drizzle as I reached the entrance of my apartment building. Pulling out my keys, I managed to make it into the building still dry. The rain has been picking up and now it's coming down hard, pounding against the windows. I watch as the drops hit the glass, as they drizzle down. I enjoy being at home, heater turned on, hot soup on the stove top. An unexplained feeling of happiness starts deep in my stomach, spreading to my whole body. I'm happy and I'm smiling. I love it when it rains.

No comments:

Post a Comment